At St Patrick’s College, we continue to have a strong emphasis on providing opportunities to enrich the learning of our Gifted and Talented students beyond their regular curriculum. From competitions to challenge days, these initiatives provide students with the opportunities to work with students of similar abilities and passions from schools across Sydney. Throughout the years, the following opportunities have been provided to students:
- Dorothea Mackellar Poetry Competition – Open to all students in Years 7-10.
- Sydney Writer’s Festival - Students in Years 7-9 are selected via a self-nomination process to attend this enrichment opportunity. They have the opportunity to hear from published Australian authors about the writing process.
- University of Wollongong – Learning Labs.
- The Panel – A Southern Region publication written for students and by students.
- Sparkathon – A Gifted and Talented Challenge Day for students in Years 6-7 across the Southern Region.
- Write Now – Writing Competition.
- Confronting Concepts - A debating opportunity.
- The Write Stuff – Writing Competition.
- Inquisitive Minds – A Mathematics Challenge Day for gifted mathematicians in Year 8.
- Write 4 Fun – Writing Competition.
- Belles & Beaux Gala Day – For students in Years 7-10. A Gifted and Talented Challenge day, where students participate in an area of expertise. Students have the opportunity to participate in a range of core group activities ranging from Mathematics, Philosophy, Engineering, Poetry, Music, Chess, Film and Debating.
The aim of Newman Program is to support the needs of the gifted and talented students at St Patrick’s College. We do this in the following ways:
- Differentiation in all classes
- Pre-testing, compaction and acceleration
- Flexible grouping within the classroom
- Enrichment opportunities
- Academically selected classes – 7W and 8W
- Specific need classes – 8I and 9W Literacy, Science and Mathematics
- Newman extension tasks
Please view the following documents for more information:
Mrs Jenni Oxnard
Gifted and Talented Facilitator