The College was co-founded in 1956 by the Christian Brothers and in 1960 by the Presentation Sisters. Thus began a tradition in education that has fostered and promoted quality learning, fidelity to the Gospel, academic excellence and an orientation to the service of young people and their families.
|1924||A weatherboard church-school opens with 26 pupils|
|1956||Christian Brothers College established|
|1959||Mary Immaculate College established|
|1987||St Patrick's College name, crest, motto and uniform decided|
|1992||Full co-education for Years 7-12|
|2002||Completion of total site refurbishment|
St Patrick’s College is a Catholic co-educational secondary school that has a long and interesting history in the Shire reaching back to 1924 when three Sisters of Mercy opened a church-school in Robertson St with 26 primary pupils. In 1928 the school, known as St Patrick’s, moved to Belmont St where the present church hall is located. In 1950 the Mercy Sisters reluctantly withdrew because of expanded commitments in the Sutherland Shire and six Presentation Sisters from Wagga replaced them. By the end of 1950 there were 350 pupils.
In 1953 St Patrick’s expanded when Sr Stanislaus (Principal 1954-58) established a Secondary Department. This in turn was to develop into Mary Immaculate College which was opened in 1959 by Cardinal Gilroy with an enrolment of 121 pupils under the leadership of Sr Peter McCormack as founding Principal. The first candidates for the Leaving Certificate sat in 1960.
The Christian Brothers established St Patrick’s Christian Brothers College in 1956 with 177 primary pupils from Years 3 to 6 with Br F. P. Hannigan as founding Principal. These boys proceeded to the secondary school with the first Leaving Certificate class in 1961.
Both schools expanded rapidly in the 1960’s to meet the requirements of the Wyndham Scheme and to absorb new pupils when the Colleges were designated as senior regional schools in the Sutherland Shire. Further developments took place to meet the needs of a rapidly changing curriculum with both campuses constructing libraries and adding classrooms. As well, to extend the curriculum opportunities for senior classes, Years 11 and 12 began to operate as a fully co-educational group in 1975. Pressure on the St Patrick’s CBC site was relieved when primary classes were finally phased out in 1977.
1985 saw the first step towards the amalgamation of the two Colleges which was the first to be attempted in the Archdiocese of Sydney. The College functioned under one administration led by Sr Cecilia Wiltshire with Br Paul Leary as First Assistant. The two campuses still operated separately from Years 7 to 10 with an Assistant Principal for the girls and one for the boys. By 1987 the name of St Patrick’s College was adopted with a new crest and motto inspired by a senior student – “Seek Wisdom in Christ”.
Recent history of our College commenced in 1992 when the amalgamation of Mary Immaculate College and Christian Brothers' College came into effect. After consultation with the community, the title St Patrick's College, was chosen to link in with the local parish church and primary school, both of which also carry the same title. St Patrick’s College became a fully co-educational school in 1992 under the leadership of Br Leary. Mrs Dianne Kennedy was appointed the first lay Principal in 1994. The complete refurbishment of the site by 2003 reflects the unity of the school and its pride and confidence in the future.