The Social Justice group is concerned with raising awareness of issues of injustice, both globally and locally. As well, it is concerned with assisting agencies actively involved with those in our community affected by such issues. The work of the Social Justice group is grounded on the teachings of Jesus, and his model of service and ministry to the marginalised in our world and local community.
Some of the activities the Social Justice group have been involved with include:
- Awareness raising about issues of injustice in developing countries around the world
- asylum seekers in Australia and their treatment in detention centres
- issues of inequality and injustice in Australia including our indigenous population
- Fundraising to assist agencies such as Caritas Australia, Catholic Mission, St Vincent De Paul Society, Centacare and others in their work with the people affected by injustice and inequality.
- Community service with agencies who assist people affected by injustice. These include Matthew Talbot Hostel and St Vincent De Paul. Students also undertake weekly visits to the Nagle Apartments, as a senior commitment.
- We are well underway with our Lenten fundraising for Project Compassion to aid Caritas Australia in its work in various less developed countries.